- Posted by admin
- On April 20, 2018
- 0 Comments
Prof Allan Fels AO needs little introduction. He has is an Australian economist, lawyer and public servant. He was most widely known in his role as chairman of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) from its inception in 1995 until 30 June 2003.
Mental Health – The Challenges
Some three to four percent of the population experience severe persistent mental illness e.g. schizophrenia. Another fifteen percent or so experience significant mental illness e.g. depression, anxiety disorder, personality disorder etc.
Professor Fels will discuss the causes and incidence of mental illness; the nature, strengths and weakness of the current system for dealing with problems of mental illness; and policy issues.
Some of the policy issues include:
· Does mental health need to be accorded a higher priority by governments and the community?
· Could the present system be improved (even if there is limited additional funding)?
· What is the link to matters such as housing and employment?
· Stigma and discrimination
· Social connectiveness of people with mental illness
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and mental health