DATA PROTECTION STATEMENT FOR CSA(V) Inc.
This Protection Statement explains how Cambridge Society of Australia (Vic) Inc. handles and uses the personal data collected from CSA(V) Inc. members and others associated with the Society and how it keeps in touch with each one in order to alert them to new local events, activities and society developments in the State of Victoria.
The Committee of CSA(V) is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information it holds. (Note that the University of Cambridge also has its own Data Protection Statement which can be found on : https://www.information-compliance.admin.cam.ac.uk/data-protection It covers a wider scope of data for each Alumni and is not replicated in this CSA(V) statement.)
The Committee at CSA(V) may hold information relating to you from a number of sources. A significant proportion of the information held is that which you provide to us (for example, you may give us information by filling in forms on our website, or by corresponding with us by email or otherwise).
Most records contain:
- details of your education like College & Discipline, years of study.
- unique personal identifiers and biographical information (e.g. Alumni number, date of birth)
- your contact details (and we update these whenever you let us know that they have changed)
- information about your areas of interest and extra-curricular activities
How we use your Data
As a CSA(V) Committee, your data is used by us for a number of interdependent purposes in support of alumni relations, supporter communications. These include:
- sending you information such as Newsletters, e-mails and updates about our activities
- inviting you to our events
- internal record keeping, including subscription payments and the management of any feedback or complaints
- Communications to you may be sent by post, telephone or electronic means (principally by email), depending on the contact details we hold and the preferences expressed by you about the types of communications you wish to receive
- Sharing the above categories of data with the University and Colleges. Any transmission of data to or from the University and Colleges is managed through agreed processes that comply with relevant data protection legislation.
If you have concerns or queries about any of these purposes, or how we communicate with you, please contact us. We will always respect a request by you to stop processing your personal data, or changing the conditions of your consent.
How we Protect your Data
We ensure we have appropriate data sharing arrangements in place before sharing your personal data. We do not sell your personal data to third parties under any circumstances or permit third parties to sell on the data we have shared with them.
We also facilitate communication between individual members, but in doing so we do not release personal contact details without prior permission.
Any transfers of your data overseas are protected either by an ‘adequacy decision’ by the European Commission for Australia and by Australian Privacy Laws.
Your rights as a member of CSA(V) Inc.
As a member of CSA(V) Inc. you have the right to:
- ask us for access to, or rectification or erasure of your data
- restrict processing of your data (pending correction or deletion)
- object to communications or direct marketing
- ask for the transfer of your data electronically to a third party (data portability)
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner if your data rights are infringed.
The legal basis for processing your personal data is that it is necessary for the pursuit of our legitimate interests. We always handle your personal data securely and minimise its use, and there is no overriding prejudice to you by using your personal information for these purposes. In addition, there is no statutory or contractual requirement for you to provide us with any personal data.
Withdrawal of Consent & Data Concerns
The controller for your personal data is the Secretary of the Cambridge Society of Australia (VIC) Inc. If you do not wish the CSA(V) Inc to retain your personal data or use your personal details please contact us at: email@example.com
If you have any concerns or questions about the above information or you wish to ask us not to process your personal data for particular purposes please again contact the secretary. Where you have specific requests relating to how we manage your data, we will endeavour to resolve these, but please note that there may be circumstances where we cannot comply with specific requests.
We will retain your data indefinitely in support of your relationship with us or until you request us to do otherwise . We will publish any changes we make to this Data Protection Statement and notify you by other communication channels where appropriate.
Where you exercise your right to erase any data details, we will continue to maintain a core set of personal data (name, membership details, unique identification number and date of birth) to ensure we do not contact you inadvertently in future.
Updated: March 2018